Contact Us

Your Hosts: Christine & David Opala

Five Mile Lake Lodge
P.O. Box 516
Chapleau, Ontario
P0M 1K0

Summer Phone: (705) 864-0201 (May 1st thru Oct. 31st)
Winter Phone: (352) 410-3944 (Nov 1st to April 30th)

Directions: To get to Five Mile Lake Lodge from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, follow Highway 17 East to the town of Thessalon. Turn left onto Highway 129 North and enjoy the rugged and beautiful scenery for 120 miles before you see our sign and driveway. Highway 17 is also called the Trans Canada Highway.

Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens will need a passport or passport card to re-enter the U.S.

Find more about Weather in Chapleau, CA
Click for weather forecast

Helpful Links & Information

Please click here to download .pdf reader

Buy a Fishing License and Outdoor Card on-line here
Buy a Hunting License and Outdoor Card on-line here

Ontario Fishing Regulations Page
Ontario Hunting Regulations Page

Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Forms are available by emailing, or by calling 1-800-731-4000 (Canada and U.S.) or 1-506-624-5380 (other countries) and from all Customs offices across Canada. Visit the RCMP web site for more information

Crossing the Border:

Helpful Border Crossing Information Sites
US State Department
Canada Welcomes You

What you are allowed to bring into Canada
You are allowed, per person, 1 litre (32oz) of alcohol or 1 case of 24 beer, 1 carton of cigarettes, a reasonable amount of food for the number people vacationing, along with personal clothing and fishing equipment.

What you are not allowed to bring into Canada
You cannot bring into the country live bait in water, worms packed in earth, hand guns and unregistered firearms or mace and pepper spray. Vegetables grown in your garden will be allowed if there is no visible sign of dirt. All fruits and vegetables are to be in the packages they came in from the store. (potatoes in the bag)

DUI Charges and Other Issues
Our Canadian Immigration and Visitor regulations restrict persons with convictions that would be considered criminal charges in Canada to enter Canada. If you have had a DUI (driving under the influence) charge against you, and if it shows up on your records in the US (which can be accessed by our Customs & Immigration officers through co-operative agreements between the US and Canada) then you may be denied entry to Canada. Random checks are common. Changes to these restrictions have been made. A person with a one time offence that did not result in jail time is now allowed entry to Canada, with no application or fees.

We suggest you communicate with a Canadian Immigration office prior to your planned trip if you have a criminal record.